Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Hamlet Emoticons

Between April and September 2013 I worked on a street art series in Glasgow that used 16 individual pieces to depict a complete soliloquy from Hamlet. The role of Hamlet is played by a character whose head has been replaced by pixelated emoticon. The initial motivation behind the series was to parody the fragmentation of complex emotions as they pass through technology. Imagine the absurdity of Hamlet reduced to text messages or tweets.

Despite the way that the project's meaning became entwined in my disagreement with The Glasgow School of Art, I'm satisfied with the final outcome being something I couldn't have anticipated. I've learn more over the past year than I had hoped to, more than I can express here. Some of it has gone into my thesis but the rest requires more thought. Until that's had time to settle, please enjoy this record of the completed project.



The Soliloquy from Act 2, Scene 2 of Hamlet

I have of late, (but wherefore I know not) lost all my mirth;
and indeed, it goes so heavily with my disposition;
that this goodly frame the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory; 
this most excellent canopy the air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, 
this Majestical roof, fretted with golden fire: 
why, it appears no other thing to me, than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours.
What a piece of work is man! 
How noble in reason, 
how infinite in faculty! 
In form and moving how express and admirable! 
In action how like an Angel!
In apprehension how like a god! 
The beauty of the world! 
The paragon of animals! 
And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust? 
Man delights not me; no, nor Woman neither;































In case you're wondering where the soliloquy first caught my attention it was in the film Withnail and I. See the clip below.



2 comments:

  1. Consistency, linearity and narrative.
    Three of my favorite things.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New and visionary artists have taken the art to a new level. They have sense of freshness and are unique in appeal. Even the local artists like Central Coasts artists in Australia are showcasing never seen art pieces.
    online art gallery nsw australia

    ReplyDelete